fredag 25. april 2008

Gaudy Night-sitatmaraton V

«If I want tactful dependents, I can hire them. And fire them if they get too tactful. I don’t mean Bunter. He braces me by a continual cold shower of silent criticism.» (308)

«‘I’m quite capable to be killed for the fun of it. Who isn’t?’
‘I know,’ said the Dean. ‘It’s funny that we get so solemn about murders and executions and mind so little about taking risks in motoring and swimming and climbing mountains and so on. I suppose we do prefer to die for the fun of the thing’» (322)

«But if it ever occurs to people to value the honour of the mind equally with the honour of the body, we shall get a social revolution of a quite unparallelled sort” (330).

«It was not one of the world’s great sestets, but it was considerably better than her own octave, which was monstrous of it.» (346)

Og til slutt, verdens beste frieri:

«‘Placetne, magistra?’
Placet.’»

Snufs. Hvem sier at det ikke er romantisk med spørrepartikler? For denne forventer snarere ja enn nei.